Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Monkey's Song

Many readers already know that our family dog bit Turtle in the face last Friday. After emergency plastic surgery and several days in the hospital, she is home and doing wonderfully. In fact, it looks like she simply has a black eye and a few scratches, which is unbelievable considering that 5 days ago her eye looked ripped apart and I feared she would be permanently disfigured as I drove her to the emergency room. The staff and facility at Dell Children's Hospital is amazing; and Dr. Patrick Kelley, the Chief of Plastic Surgery and the person responsible for Turtle's amazing recovery, is well worth whatever outrageous out-of- pocket/after insurance amounts we will eventually owe for two surgeries and three nights in the hospital.

Monkey summed up our experience with a song she spontaneously made up as she sat down to dinner tonight. Without any help or prompting, she sang this completely intact, roughly to the tune of "Itsy Bitsy Spider." (I use that basic tune to sing all sorts of silly songs that the girls ask me to make up on a regular basis). I wrote her song down within minutes of her singing it because I was so amazed; I'm not sure I got it exactly verbatim but if not, it is very close:

Turtle, Turtle,
you have a booboo on your eye.
A dog bit you
and you had to go to the hospital,
to have your medicine drink
and some milk.

Now you're all better
And you had little bears there
and there were some babies
and then Monkey got a bear.

No comments: