Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Changes

Drumroll please . . . . after determining that NOW was the best time to make the switch, we converting the girls' cribs into toddler beds August 21! That was a very hard week. It reminded me of the newborn stage: taking forever to get the kids to go to sleep, getting up in the middle of the night because Kid A is crying, getting that kid back to sleep, laying in bed for an hour before finally getting myself back to sleep, then being woken a short time later by Kid B crying, then having both kids wake up unreasonably early to start the day. Ugh.

At least this time around I knew what the problem was (falling out of bed, having a wetting accident) and expected that it wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. In both cases, I was right. Turtle fell out of bed 2 or 3 times and had only one wetting accident; she is now a pro at sleeping in bed and staying dry all night. Monkey fell out only once but after a series of middle-of-the-night sheet changes we decided she should go back to sleeping in a Pull-Up. And their sleep schedule seems to be lengthening back out to a more civilized waking time of 7:15A. That, I can handle. A knock on my door at 6:30A - I just can't do that, no matter how darn cute it is. I know some people do, but fortunately the girls have adopted our "sleeping-in" habits and I'm glad the toddler beds didn't mess that up. And I'm glad we made the switch when we did, before the rush of "fall activities" set in and sleep deprived bad behavior (on everyone's part) would have been less tolerable.

They are both napping in Pack-N-Plays now, because while they are able to stay in bed at night, it appears to be an impossible request at nap time. But they are doing great with the transition after a very rocky week. I was prompted to make the switch without a lot of planning or warning because I did an intense "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" session with Monkey that Saturday morning, and it went so well I decided to go whole hog. Well, there was serious backtracking last week on the potty training front but I do think everything is smoothing out now, FINALLY. I think the fact that every girl in her Mother's Day Out program wears underwear and goes to the potty had a positive effect on her, in addition to my constant nagging. Oh wait, scratch that about the constant nagging. That seemed to make her take special pleasure in making a huge puddle in the playroom and not telling me about it until she had padded around in her wet socks for a few minutes.

Anyway, that all seems to be behind us. Now we have a couple of nearly three year old preschoolers sleeping in "big kid" beds and taking themselves to the potty, and it is pretty awesome.

That reminds me that Turtle made up her first story the other day. She found one of those miniature novelty books on a bookshelf ("Nancy Drew's Guide to Life") and decided it was her grown up book titled, "The Prince and the Golden." Here is the story she "reads" when she opens the book, and also what she reads when Monkey requests that she read "The Prince and the Golden."

"The Prince and the Golden"

"The Prince and the Golden, too little to fly. He said to his mother, too little to fly. The End."

I'll let you contemplate that masterpiece for awhile. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

No comments: