Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Turtle can read!

Despite my long months of neglecting this blog, I think of it often.  Tonight I had to post because I can officially say that Turtle knows how to read.  She and Monkey just turned 5 yesterday and I will admit that I expected them to be reading months ago.  They have been able to sound out words beautifully for awhile but the smooth reading wasn't there.  Turns out we didn't have the right books!  We bought the girls Series 2 of the "Bob" books for their birthday http://www.bobbooks.com/bob_books_set_2.php and Turtle opened them up today and read three books in a row, out loud, smoothly and with almost no assistance.  Turtle also draws better than I do, but that's another topic.

Monkey is not quite there on reading and I expect it will take her a couple more months.  She can focus on following directions for building Legos for a lot longer than Turtle, so I know she has different strengths.  But still.  Despite my mostly successful attempts to keep my Type A personality under wraps when it comes to mothering, I know I'm about to go Tiger Mom all over both of them on reading now that the first big threshold has been crossed. I've already read several "Ramona" chapter books out loud to them, and we are now reading both "The Borrowers" and "Charlotte's Web."  If they aren't both reading at a second grade level by the time they start kindergarten next year, I will consider myself a total failure.  (and I'm only kind of kidding).


No comments: