Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Texas 45 OU 35

Texas/OU weekend holds a special place in my heart. And not just because of the raucous college memories. The law school memories are pretty good too. The first time N and I kissed was TX/OU weekend 1996, at the Across the Street bar in Dallas, after countless 25-cent pitchers of beer.

We were excited to introduce our little Longhorns to the game this past weekend, and even though they napped through the first half, they seemed to enjoy “watching” the second half at Waterloo Ice House with Grandpa and Granny C and a couple dozen other Texas fans. Monkey's eyes opened wide the first time the crowd roared in response to a play, and she buried her head in my chest. Knawing on her first flour tortilla for the rest of the game helped relax her. Turtle thoroghly enjoyed the noise and the crowd - from the safe haven of Daddy's arms, of course. The girls’ first-ever TX/OU game was a victory for the Longhorns – what else could be expected on such a momentous occasion?

I don’t know if I’ll ever tell the girls about the Across the Street bar, I don’t know if they’ll ever go to a TX/OU game, and I don’t want to know if they drink cheap beer with cute boys. But I do know that sharing this weekend with the girls added a new, wonderful dimension to my TX/OU memories.

No comments: