Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Mother Remembered

Today a friend sent me a New York Times essay written by a motherless mother whose children have started to ask questions about their missing Grandma. She wonders how to explain to her children where her mother is, and why that Grandma isn’t around. It made me wonder how I will handle those questions when the time comes. I’m pretty sure I’ll tell Turtle and Monkey something like this:

When I dance and sing wildly in the car - while I'm driving - there is your Grandma.

When I make a cake that is both lopsided and burnt around the edges, there is your Grandma.

When I help you check out books from the library, there is your Grandma.

When I curse in Spanish, there is your Grandma.

When I treat your childish worries as seriously as my own, there is your Grandma.

When I brag non-stop about every little thing my two daughters do, there is your Grandma.

And so you see, I will tell them, she is all around you. Her love for you flows through my heart and into yours every single day.

To all the mothers, aunts, godmothers, and mother-figures, living among us or living in our hearts, Happy Mother’s Day.

4 comments:

Sherry Bowden said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. I think I may have given my girls similar glimpses of my mother, who died when I was 25. I hope I did. Happy Mother's Day to you, Sophia...you're a wonderful one yourself!

Love, Sherry

james said...

ditto to what sherry bowden said.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sniff, sniff. You have a way with words, chica. Miss G would be pleased and proud.